Thursday, July 5, 2012

Jewelry - Unjumbled

So, Pinterest is changing my life in small but such happy ways - mostly by organzing one tiny piece of my house at a time. When I saw the posts about using picture frames for hanging earrings, I knew I had an answer to the tempting jumble of jewelery Kid #1 is always after. And, fortunately, I had everything I needed at home (we are picture frame junkies around here) and it was just a matter of finding a spare 20 minutes to put it all together. 




I used a wooden picture frame, a staple gun and craft wire to make the three rows for the wire. I added a piece of scrapbook paper to the back because it just didn't look quite right against the bare wall. My own little addition (at least, I didn't see this on Pinterest) was to hammer little nails along the bottom of the frame for my necklaces.

To make these a little prettier, I added little sparkle gems on the head of each nail. I had them left over in my craft bucket, but they are easy to find at craft stores.

I am really happy with how this turned out -- especially since my jewelry is out of Kid #1's reach. I also figured out a little trick while I was working on this project. If you notice that the nails are a little crooked, that was not for lack of effort but my goal is finished and functional. Not perfection. If that makes you a little crazy, you might want to stop reading now :)

Of course, the 20 minutes I grabbed to make this happen were while both Kids were sleeping. I was hammering in the nails and getting nervous the noise would wake the Kids up. For some reason, I remembered that we had these little felt coverings to keep furniture from scratching the floor:

A perfect fit! And a much quieter hammering experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment